Spring 2 2024
This half term's English is based upon The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr.
Sophie and her Mummy are having tea in the kitchen when in walks a hungry tiger who asks to stay to tea. After eating everything, he moves on to Daddy's supper and for good measure also cleans out the fridge and drinks all the water from the tap.
We will be writing our own alternate version of The Tiger Who Came to Tea. Exploring different non-fiction texts linked to world animals that could come for tea. Developing our reading skills through simple research and note taking, creating animal fact files and animal poetry.
We are continuing with level 5 phonics
Week 1 - ‘ow’ and ‘oe’ saying /oa/ Common Exception Words (reading) once, please Common Exception Words (spelling) thought, through
Week 2 - wh’ saying /w/ Common Exception Words (reading) live, coming
Common Exception Words (spelling) work, house
Week 3- ‘g’ saying /j/ and ‘c’ saying /s/ Common Exception Words (reading) Monday, Tuesday Common Exception Words (spelling) many, laughed
Week 4- ‘ph’ saying /f/ Common Exception Words (reading) Wednesday, brother Common Exception Words (spelling) because, different
Week 5- ‘ea’ saying /e/ Common Exception Words (reading) more, before Common Exception Words (spelling) any, eye
Maths this half term is based on the following:
Add and Subtraction within 20:
- add by counting on within 20
- Add ones using number bonds
- Find and make number bonds to 20
- Near doubles
- Subtract ones using number bonds
- Subtraction - counting back
- Subtraction - finding the difference
- Related facts
- Missing number problems
- making and finding a half, quarter and a whole
Position and Direction
- Describe turns
- Describe position - left and right
- Describe position - forwards and backwards
- Describe position - above and below
- Ordinal numbers
Science - Animals
In this unit about Animals Including Humans, children will learn about five of the groups that scientists use to classify animals: mammals, fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. They will learn to identify the group an animal belongs to by its features and will classify animals according to their group. They will also learn about the different diets animals eat. Also they will use all their knowledge from this unit to classify animals according to their own criteria.
Our history unit is called 'Nurturing Nurses' it focuses upon the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
Our learning will focus upon:
- what makes a person significant in history.
- know how Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole have helped and influenced nursing and hospitals today.
- differences and similarities in the lives of Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole
- simple understanding of the chronology of the historical periods in which Florence Nightingale and Mary lived.
This half term our topic is Perfect Pizza. We will investigate different pizzas and their toppings. We will plan and make a pizza of our own and will use a variety of tools to do this. Finally we will evaluate our products.
We will be using Purple Mash 2create a story tool. We will develop the skills to create, organise, store, manipulate and retrieve digital content through the creation of their own animated story book.
Music - 'Learning to Listen'
Listening is very important. You can listen with your eyes and ears and you can also feel sound in your body. How Does Music Help Us to Understand Our Neighbours?
During this half term, our topic is ‘Be Yourself ’
This unit is inspired by the idea that having confidence to 'Be Yourself' can have a positive impact on mental health and emotional wellbeing.
The children will:
- Identify their own special traits and qualities
- Identify and name common feelings
- select times and situations that make them feel happy
- Talk about what makes them feel unhappy or cross.
- Explain how change and loss make them feel.
- Understand the importance of sharing their thoughts and feelings
This half term our foreign language experience is Spanish. We will be learning to:
- Basic greetings, like hello and goodbye
- Ask someone their name
- Tell someone my name
- Count to 10 in Spanish
This half term or topic is salvation.
The children will learn about the Easter story.