This term, we are basing our reading, writing and grammar lessons on the historic, adventure novel, "Secrets of a Sun King" written by Emma Carroll. This novel has been chosen to link with our History topic of "Ancient Egypt". The main character Lil discovers a mysterious package that was sent to her Grandad and embarks on a journey accompanied by two of her friends to return it to Egypt.
We will write a number of different texts, such as: a biography, a non-chronological report, a letter, instructions, a balanced argument and a first person narrative.
We complete "Flashback 4" to revisit and consolidate prior learning and have a 2-minute times tables text every week, so that the children maintain and improve their knowledge of their times tables (including division facts up to 12 x 12). In addition, we complete an arithmetic lesson each week.
This half term, we are leaning:
- Place value in numbers up to 1,000,000
- Ordering and comparing numbers up to 1,000,000 (including on number lines)
- Counting, adding and subtracting in Powers of 10
- Adding and subtracting numbers with more than 4-digits
- Multi-step addition and subtraction problems
- Multiples, common multiples, factors and common factors
- Prime, squared and cube numbers
- Multiplying 4-digit numbers by a 1-digit number
- Multiplying a 2-digit number by a 2-digit number
- Equivalent fractions
- Improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Comparing and ordering fractions less than 1
- Comparing and ordering fractions greater than 1
Our science topic is Materials and their properties. This topic covers: properties of materials and their suitability for tasks; thermal insulators and conductors; electrical insulators and conductors; dissolving and separating mixtures and irreversible changes.
Our topic this half-term is "Ancient Egypt" and we have linked our English and Art learning to this exciting topic. We will cover the following:
- Who were the ancient Egyptians?
- What was life like in Ancient Egypt?
- Who was Tutankhamun?
- What is the Ancient Egyptian ritual of mummification?
- What did the Ancient Egyptians believe in?
- Why were the pyramids significant?
This half-term we are covering two topics of online safety and concept maps. We use Purple Mash for our computing lessons.
This half-term we are re-capping numbers to 20 and learning numbers up to 60. We will also learn the days of the week and months of the year. Our lessons include speaking, listening, reading, writing and songs.
Our topic is "How and why do Christians, Muslims and Jews pray?" Children will know what prayer is and begin to explore why religious believers pray. they will understand the meaning of the Christian's main prayer and write their own prayer.
Our art topic this half-term is Eyptian Art. We will be studying Ancient Egyptian tomb painting, heiroglyphs, creatig our own papyrus paper and learning about colour mixing.
Our music lesson follow the Chranga scheme and our work this half-term will be based arounf the rock anthem, "Livin' on Prayer" by Bon Jovi
Our PE learning is based around Fitness and the children are swimming on a Friday morning.
Our PSHE topic this half term is TEAM (Together, Everyone Achieves More).