Our text for the term is ‘The Butterfly Lion’ by Michael Morpurgo.
We are basing all of our writing this term on this book about Bertie and his white lion.
We will be writing a variety of fiction and non-fiction text types, focusing on including the correct structural and language features.
Of course we will expect neat handwriting this, correct spelling and the use of taught grammar in all of our work.
Remember to practise your times tables up to 12 x 12 on TTRockstars at home.
In Spring 1, we will be covering:
- Roman numerals and negative number
- Mental methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Formal written methods for addition , subtraction and multiplication.
- Perimeter and Area
Some useful websites for you to use at home are:
History: The Vikings
This half-term we will be learning about the Staffordshire Hoard as a local history study.
This will include:
- Explaining when and where the Vikings came from and why they raided Britain
- Comparing the significance of Anglo-Saxon kings during the Viking period.
- Explaining who King Ethelred II was and say when and why Danegeld was introduced.
- Identify and explain key aspects of Viking life
- Explaining how the last Anglo-Saxon kings shaped Britain.
Our art learning is based on Viking Portraits.
Children will practise drawing using tone, texture and perspective.
They will draw using pencils as well as creating a piece art based on Lucian Freud.
This term we are learning about Electricity and Animals including humans.
In electricity, the children will:
- Identify electrical and non-electrical appliances.
- Explain how to stay safe around electricity.
- Explain how a circuit works and create simple series circuits.
- Name electrical conductors and insulators.
- Investigate how to make a bulb brighter and duller.
- Investigate how switches work by making and testing two different types of switches.
In French this term, the children will be learning likes and dislikes.
In our lessons, we will:
- learn new vocabulary
- practise pronouncing words and sentences correctly
- practise writing sentences using the correct spelling and grammar.
In music this term, the children will be following the Charanga Music Scheme based around the rap song “Stop”. The children will be composing their own rap verses on anti-bullying to fit into the song and then rehearse and perform the song as a class.
PE on Tuesday is with Mrs Towlson and Mr Withers and Mrs Barker will be teaching the children PE on a Wednesday. Please remember to wear your PE kit to school every Tuesday and Wednesday. Make sure you wear navy joggers and a navy hoodie, sweatshirt or fleece as gets cooler, as most lessons will take place outside.
On a Tuesday, the children will be participating in target games and on a Wednesday they will do gymnastics.
R.E: Why do some people think Jesus is inspiring?
The children will:
- explain why Christians believe Jesus is so inspirational.
- explain who inspires them and why.
- name some of Jesus’s “I am” saying.
- learn about beattitudes, parables and miracles of Jesus.
- examining stained glass windows and designing their own.