We are continuing with our class novel, "Secrets of a Sun King" by Emma Carroll.
This term we will be continuing to learn the new spelling rules and grammar terminology for Year 5.
We will produce the following final pieces of writing, through our writing process of evaluating features, planning, writing, editing and improving and presenting:
- Non-Chronological Report on World War 1
- Diary Entry
Each week we complete a GAPS and Reading lesson.
During this half term, we will be covering the following topics:
- Multiplication and division
- Multiply and divide using known facts; Written methods for multiplication (short and long); Written methods for division (up to 4-digits divided by 1-digit with remainders); Multiply and divide by 10, 100 and 1000; Multiples of 10, 100 and 1000.
- Decimals and Percentages
- Decimals as fractions; Thousandths; Comparing and ordering decimals up to 3.d.p; Understanding percentages.
- Measuring and drawing angles accurately with a protractor; Calculating angles on a straight line and around a point; Properties of 2D shapes.
- Area and Perimeter
We will continue our topic of Properties of Materials, during which we will investigate reverisblle and irrversible changes, separating mixtures and soluble and insoluble matuerials.
Our new topic is the "UK". We will learn about the countries in the UK, cities, counties and human and phyisical features. We will use the drections on an 8-point compass, loate places using dfferent typs of maps and look at topoigraphical maps.
Our DT topic for this half-term is Bridges. We will learn about different bridge types, research famous, bridges, test different arches, pillar and trusses before designing, building and evaluating our own bridges to meet a specific design criteria.
Our new French topic is clothes "les vetments". We will lcontinue to learn through spealing, listening, reading and writing,
- To learn items of clothing and use them appropriately in a phrase
- To describe items of clothing using colours
- To build a sequence of conversation and writing
- To recognise similarities and differences in the ways clothes are worn and sold in different countries.
Our topic this half-term in PSHE is "Positive Thinking"
In RE we will learn about:
- How do religious achieve and create peace?
- What is the key message in the Christmas Story
In computing, we will be learning about Concept Maps and developing our Spreadsheet Skills.
On a Thursday, we will be developing our Hockey skills and on a Friday, the children will continue to go swimming
This half term the children will be learning the recorder. We wil focus on learning songs using notes B, A and G and notes with 1 count. 2 counts and 1/2 count.