We are continuing with our class novel, "Pig Heart Boy" by Malorie Blackman.
This term we will be continuing to learn the new spelling rules and grammar terminology for Year 5.
We will produce the following final pieces of writing, through our writing process of evaluating features, planning, writing, editing and improving and producing a final version.
- A newspaper report
- An alternative ending to the book
- A letter to Malorie Blackman (which we will post to her)
Each week we complete a GAPS and Reading lesson.
During this half term, we will be covering the following topics:
- Multiplication and division
- Multiply and divide using known facts; Written methods for multiplication (short and long); Written methods for division (up to 4-digits divided by 1-digit with remainders); Multiply and divide by 10, 100 and 1000; Multiples of 10, 100 and 1000.
- Decimals and Percentages
- Decimals as fractions; Thousandths; Comparing and ordering decimals up to 3.d.p; Understanding percentages.
- Measuring and drawing angles accurately with a protractor; Calculating angles on a straight line and around a point; Properties of 2D shapes.
- Area and Perimeter
We are continuing with our topic on Properties of Materials, during which we will:
- Investigate different methods of separating mixtures
- Investigate reversible and irreversible changes
- Complete a research project
Our new topic is the "Changing Power of Monarchs" and will including the following:
- How the Normans came to rule in Britain
- Who King John was and why he was an important king in English history
- Why did Henry VIII want an heir?
- Why was Queen Ann important in creating Great Britain
- The British Empire in Victorian Britain
- The Royal Family
Our DT topic for this half-term is super seasonal cooking, during which we will look at seasonality of fruits and vegetables, nutrition and cooking a seasonal soup.
Our new French topic is clothes. We will learn about the following:
- To learn items of clothing and use them appropriately in a phrase
- To describe items of clothing using colours
- To build a sequence of conversation and writing
- To recognise similarities and differences in the ways clothes are worn and sold in different countries.
Our topic this half-term in PSHE is "Positive Thinking"
In RE we will learn about:
- How do religious achieve and create peace?
- What is the key message in the Christmas Story
In computing, we will be learning about Concept Maps and developing our Spreadsheet Skills.
On a Thursday, we will be developing our Hockey skills and on a Friday, the children will continue to go swimming
Children will continue their guitar lessons on a Thursday afternoon with Mr Bolton.