Autumn 1 2022 - 2023
Our English this half term is based around two books.
An exciting animal story called Puffin Peter.
Peter and Paul are the best of friends, but when Peter gets lost in a terrible storm he can't find Paul anywhere. With the help of a big blue whale Puffin Peter sets off to find him. They find all kinds of birds that match Peter's description but none of them is quite like Paul.
We will be writing descriptions of Peter, producing fact files about puffins, creating lost posters to help Peter find his best friend Paul.
We will also be reading different version of the traditional tale 'The Elves and The Shoe Maker'.
We will be discussing the different characters and the problems they face in the story. Creating character conversations. Retelling the story in our own words through drama, making story predictions. Writing instructions of how to make a pair of shoes and design and describe their own magical shoes.
Reading and spelling words with consonant blends and new graphemes.
Reading and spelling polysyllabic words.
Reading and writing sentences.
Learn new pronunciation of ‘ay’, learn alternative spellings of phoneme ‘ai’.
Learn new pronunciation of ‘oy’. Learn alternative spellings of phoneme ‘oi’.
Learn new pronunciation of ‘ie’. Learn alternative spellings of phoneme ‘igh’.
Learn new pronunciation of ‘ea’. Learn alternative spellings of phoneme ‘ee’.
Learn new pronunciation of ‘a_e’. Learn alternative spellings of phoneme ‘ai’.
This half term Year 1s Maths is focused upon place value and numbers 10 to 20.
We will be :
- Reading, recognising, writing and using the numbers1 -1 0 in different situations.
- Sorting, counting and representing objects
- Counting backwards and forwards from any given number up to20
- Comparing numbers using greater / lesser than and equal to
- Ordering objects and numbers
Recognising and naming 2D and 3D shapes
Sorting 2D shapes
Creating patterns with 2D and 3D shapes
Science - Our Bodies
- Naming and locating parts of the human body
- What are the 5 senses and why are they important?
- Why is our sense of taste important?
- How do we adapt to loosing our sense of hearing?
- How do we adapt to loosing our sight?
Geography - Our School
- What are physical and human features?
- Can you spot any around our school?
- What is an aerial view?
- Making maps of our school, grounds and classroom
- What are keys and symbols used for on maps?
- What are compass directions and how are they used?
Art - Self Portraits
- Looking at self-portraits Art appreciation
- Drawing techniques - what is line and tone?
- How to draw and self-portrait using line and tone
- Pablo Picasso - using colour to show emotions
- Creating self-portraits in the styles of Paul Klee and Any Warhol
- Log in safely and why this is important
- How to save and find our learning in Purple Mash
- How to use and find the resources and tools in Purple Mash
RE -Creation and Thanksgiving
Our Re learning is based upon 'How do we say thank you for our beautiful world?'.
We will be:
- asking questions of how the world began and all about the wonderful world we live in
- Exploring the facts that Christians and Jews believe God created the world and everything in it
- Retelling the creation story through words, drama or pictures
- Recognising that the creation story from the Bible and Torah is important to Christians and Jewish people
- Thanking God for the harvest
- Making links between our behaviour and how the world is cared for or spoilt
- Knowing the importance of looking after animals and protecting nature
- Explaining the meaning and messages from religious stories