This term Year 3 are reading the exciting story ‘Tom’s Sausage Lion written by Michael Morpurgo.
This book is about a boy who saw a lion strolling through the orchard with a string of sausages hanging out of his mouth.
He knows the lion is real but nobody will believe him. What is Tom going to do?
All of our writing this term is going to be based around this story. We will be writing a first person recount imagining they are Tom and remember the first time they saw the lion, character descriptions, persuasive letters and non-chronological reports all about lions.
This term we will be focusing on:
A big push on learning times tables for rapid recall – x3, x4, x6 and x8 multiplication tables and related division facts.
- Written calculations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Solving problems using all 4 operations
- Money – addition and subtraction of using pounds and pence including calculating change
- Revising 2D & 3D shapes
- Measuring length and calculating perimeter
History – Britain’s Settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots
- The Invaders – Why, where and when did the Scots and Anglo-Saxons invade Britain?
- Place Names – How the Anglo-Saxons have influenced Britain by their name place names?
- Anglo-Saxon Village Life – What was everyday life was like for the people who lived in an Anglo-Saxon Village?
- Anglo-Saxons & Scots Artefacts and Culture – What can Anglo-Saxon artefacts teach us about Anglo-Saxon culture?
- Anglo-Saxon Gods – What were the religious beliefs and practices of the early Anglo-Saxon people?
- Conversion to Christianity – How were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
Art and Design – Monet and The Impressionists
- What is Impressionism and who was Monet?
- How did Monet use light in his artwork?
- How did Monet’s garden inspire him?
- Creating a piece of artwork inspired by Monet
Summer 1 we are learning about Plants
- Parts of a plant
- What plants need to grow well
- Parts of a flower
- Seed dispersal
Summer (2) Animals including Humans
- Nutrition and food groups
- Healthy diets
- Function of skeleton
- Main bones in the human body
- How muscles work
MFL – French
We are learning about the pets that we keep and understanding stories.
We will be speaking, reading and writing in French.
This term in RE will be focusing on ‘Ascension and Pentecost’ and ‘Journey of Life’. We will be explaining when and what happened at Ascension and Pentecost and looking at the importance of the growth of Christianity. Also explaining what the Trinity is and what is it made up of. Understanding that everyday life has good and bad routes, explain the meaning ‘life is a journey’, identify different milestone ceremonies of a Christian, Jew and a Muslim. Life after death and what that means to Hindus and Christians and writing a guide book to them on their journey of life.
Our Music this term is focused around one song: Bringing Us Together – a disco song about friendship and unity. We will be using our key musical skills of listening and appraising, performing, composing and improvising.
In P.E will be ‘striking and fielding’ in cricket and rounders. Improving their batting, fielding and bowling skills.
Our computing sessions will be based around coding. We will be using Purple Mash to write our own simple coding instructions.