Welcome to Year 3!
This term Year 3 are reading the exciting story ‘Tom’s Sausage Lion written by Michael Morpurgo.
This book is about a boy who saw a lion strolling through the orchard with a string of sausages hanging out of his mouth.
He knows the lion is real but nobody will believe him. What is Tom going to do?
All of our writing this term is going to be based around this story. We will be writing a first person recount imagining they are Tom and remember the first time they saw the lion, character descriptions, persuasive letters and non-chronological reports all about lions.
We will be focusing on the following areas this term:
A big push on learning times tables for rapid recall – x3 and x4 multiplication tables and related division facts and revising x2, x5 and x10 tables from Year 2.
- Written calculations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Introduction to column addition and column subtraction of 2 and 3 digit numbers.
- Solving problems using all 4 operations
- Recognising right angles in different situations. Angles bigger and smaller than a right angle
- Naming and describing 2d shapes.
Theme – The Stone Age to the Iron Age
We are learning all about Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age.
- Late Neolithic hunter-gatherers and early farmers, for example, Skara Brae.
- Bronze Age religion, technology and travel, for example, Stonehenge.
- Iron Age hill forts: tribal kingdoms, farming, art and culture.
Art this half term is linked to Cave Art. We will be focusing on the drawing techniques, looking at tone, texture and shading. Creating examples of Cave Art and investigating and using different printing techniques.
This half term we are learning about Rocks and Soils.
- compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties
- describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock
- recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
MFL – French
We are learning how to greet people in different ways in French, say our name and ask how a person is feeling.
Also learning about the French alphabet, how to pronounce their letters and any peoples names.
We will be speaking, reading and writing in French.
This term in RE will be focusing on ‘Living in Harmony: How do we show we care?’ This is about who they care for and how they can show it. To learn about caring in different religions, including music linked to RE.
In music this term, children will be using Charanga. Their unit is called ‘Let your Spirit Fly’. Learning will include listening and appraising different styles of music and songs, rhythm games and learning to use sign language to perform different songs. We will also be learning to play the glockenspiel.
During our P.E lessons this term, we will be practising our OAA skills with Mrs Barker and taking part in one session per week with a Progressive Sport’s Coach too.
In our computing sessions this term, we will be using Purple Mash to complete an Online Safety unit. We will understand the importance of how to stay safe online. The use of passwords and the importance of not sharing them. How to recognise fact from fiction online and what is appropriate content and rating for their age, including playing games online and watching films.