Welcome to Year 4!
This year, Year 4 have Miss Bishop!
Our text for the term is ‘The Butterfly Lion’ by Michael Morpurgo’
We are basing all of our writing this term on this lovely story about a boy who rescues an orphaned white lion.
We will be writing a variety of fiction and non-fiction text types, focusing on including the correct structural and language features.
We will be having a big push on joined handwriting this year, spelling and the use of the correct grammar in all of our work.
- Recognising, writing and rounding with 4-digit numbers.
- Mental methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Formal written methods for addition , subtraction and multiplication.
- Properties of 2 and 3-D shapes
- Converting units of measure.
Some useful websites for you to use at home are:
Theme – Fascinating France
This term we will be looking at the physical and human geography of France
Monet and The Impressionists
- What is Impressionism and where did it begin?
- Who was Monet and what does his artwork look like?
- How did Monet use light in his Haystack artwork?
- How did Monet’s garden at Giverny inspire him?
- How to create a piece of artwork in the style of Monet’s Water lilies?
- Why was Claude Monet so important?
- Science This term we are looking at States of Matter and Sound. States of Matter includes: grouping materials into solid;, liquids and gases; how particles behave; evaporation and condensation and the water cycle. Sound includes: how sound travels; the sound reaches the human ear; pitch and volume. __________________________________________ French
In French this term, the children will be learning numbers all about French food, such as drinks, breakfast and picnics.
In music this term, the children will be focusing on rhythmic patterns, improvising and singing songs to perform.
In P.E. we are focusing in gymnastics , looking at problem solving games and introducing the game of Boccia.
___________________________________________ Computing In computing, children are learning about cartoon characters; this will include researching famous ones using the internet and creating our own using different software.
Why do some people think Jesus is inspirational?
We are looking at symbols that Jesus choose to represent himself. We are also exploring Jesus’ teachings, his miracles, parables and stained glass windows that represent Jesus.