Welcome to Year 3!
Our fiction text this half-term is The Adventures of Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown.
We will be writing, editing and improving a range of different text types including a wanted poster and a new chapter for the Flat Stanley book.
Our reading home learning online reading scheme called Fiction Express. Each reader gets to vote on ideas for the next chapter which brings reading to life.
- Place value
- Addition and Subtraction (mental and written methods; problem solving)
- Angles , turns and lines
- Multiplication and division, including 6 times tables.
Some useful websites for you to use at home are:
We are continuing with Fiction Express. This is exciting opportunity to engage your child in reading at home because they get to vote on ideas for the next chapters, which brings reading to life!
It is important that you read the chapter and complete home learning tasks each week in their English Home Learning Book.
Remember to record in your child’s planner every time you hear them read.
- Using maps to locate the world’s countries focusing on North America.
- Locating and studying environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, and major cities within North America.
- Identifying the position of latitude, longitude, Equator, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, Arctic and Antarctic Circle
- Learning about the Prime/Greenwich Meridian and time zones (including day and night)
- Understanding geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography of a region of North America.
- recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light
- notice that light is reflected from surfaces
- recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes
- recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by a solid object
The children will focus on improving their paintings skills by mixing colours and experimenting with different brush sizes and strokes. The will then study the work of American artist, Georgia O’Keeffe before painting their own picture in the style of her work.
The children will analyse the benefits of a well-balanced diet in the context of sandwich snacks. They will get to taste a variety of breads before designing, making and evaluating their own sandwich creation.
In French this term, the children will be learning numbers 1-10 and colours. Lessons will focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing through songs, games and activities.
In music this term, the children will be focusing on writing raps; improvising with instruments and performing to the class.
Children will be going swimming on a Thursday morning and improving their gymnastic skills on a Wednesday morning with Mr Roberts.
In computing, the children will be programming and debugging using Scratch.
During our RE lessons, the children will begin to learn about Islam beliefs and practices. The children will have an exciting opportunity to visit a Mosque.