Welcome to Year 3!
Read on to find all about our new learning in the autumn term.
Our fiction text this term is The Adventures of Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown.
We will be writing, editing and improving a range of different text types including character descriptions, story setting, instructions and non-chronological reports.
Our reading home learning online reading scheme called Fiction Express. Each reader gets to vote on ideas for the next chapter which brings reading to life.
We will be focusing on the following areas this term:
A big push on learning times tables for rapid recall – x3, x4, x6 and x8 multiplication tables and related division facts.
- Written calculations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Solving problems using all 4 operations
- Money – addition and subtraction of using pounds and pence including calculating change
- recognising right angles in different situations. Angles bigger and smaller than a right angle
- Mentally adding and subtracting 1, 10 , 100 from any 3 digit numbers
Theme – The Romans
We are learning all about The Romans and what they did for us.
- The myth of Romulus and Remus – how the Roman Empire started
- The spreading of the Roman Empire
- Roman roads
- What was the impact of the Romans on Britain today?
- Hadrian’s Wall
ART / DT
Art this term is linked to portraits. We will be focusing on the drawing techniques, looking at tone, texture and shading. Creating self-portraits, those of a Roman solider or emperor. Our artist focus will be Roy
This term we are learning about Rocks and Soils.
- compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties
- describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock
- recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
- recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light
- notice that light is reflected from surfaces
- recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes
- recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by a solid object
MFL – French
We are learning how to greet people in different ways in French, say our name and ask how a person is feeling.
Also learning about the French alphabet, how to pronounce their letters and any peoples names.
We will be speaking, reading and writing in French.
This term in RE will be focusing on ‘Living in Harmony: How do we show we care?’ This is about who they care for and how they can show it. To learn about caring in different religions, including music linked to RE.
In music this term, children will be focusing on descriptive sounds, improvising and singing songs to perform.
In P.E we are completing a range of Outdoor Adventurous Activities and dance.
In computers this term will be learning how to use a word processing programme; including adding pictures and text to documents.