Welcome to Year 3.
Read on to find all about our new learning in the spring term
In our English lessons, we are reading ‘Tom’s Sausage Lion’ by Michael Morpurgo.
We will be basing all of our writing around this exciting story, filled with drama and suspense.
We will be writing character descriptions, 1st person recounts, letters, character conversations and our own chapter based on this fantastic story.
For our non-fiction writing will also be linked to this text, lions in particular. We will be writing, editing and improving non-chronological reports, persuasive arguments and formal letters.
Our reading home learning online reading scheme called Fiction Express. Each reader gets to vote on ideas for the next chapter which brings reading to life. This will be starting soon for Year 3.
We will be focusing on the following areas this term:
A big push on learning times tables for rapid recall – x3, x4, x6 and x8 multiplication tables and related division facts.
- Written calculations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Solving problems using all 4 operations
- Money – addition and subtraction of using pounds and pence including calculating change
- recognising right angles in different situations. Angles bigger and smaller than a right angle
- Mentally adding and subtracting 1, 10 , 100 from any 3 digit numbers
- Telling the time to the nearest 5 minutes both analogue and digital
Theme – North America
- Using maps to locate the world’s countries focusing on North America.
- Locating and studying environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, and major cities within North America.
- Identifying the position of latitude, longitude, Equator, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, Arctic and Antarctic Circle
- Learning about the Prime/Greenwich Meridian and time zones (including day and night)
- Understanding geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography of a region of the United Kingdom and a region within North America.
This term we are learning about ‘Forces and Magnets’
- compare how things move on different surfaces
- notice that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance
- observe how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others
- compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet, and identify some magnetic materials
- describe magnets as having two poles
predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
MFL – French
We are learning how to greet people in different ways in French, say our name and ask how a person is feeling.
Also learning about the French alphabet, how to pronounce their letters and any peoples names.
We will be speaking, reading and writing in French.
This term in RE will be focusing on ‘Living in Harmony: How do we show we care?’ This is about who they care for and how they can show it. To learn about caring in different religions, including music linked to RE.
In music this term, children will be focusing on descriptive sounds, improvising and singing songs to perform.
In P.E we are completing a range of Outdoor Adventurous Activities and tag rugby.
In computers this term will be learning how to safe on line, flowing, testing and writing simple programmes using onscreen turtles and Logo.